Thursday 13 December 2007

Advent Carols by Candlelight

Hundreds of tiny white candles
but they light only the edges of that
vast dark space.

These lovely words are from the first carol

Wellcome all wonders in one sight
Jonathan Dove

Wellcome, all wonders in one sight!
Eternitie shut in a span,
Summer in winter, day in night,
Heaven in Earth and God in man;
Great little one whose all embracing birth
Lifts earth to heaven, stoops heaven to earth

To thee, meeke majestie! soft King.
Of simple graces and sweet loves,
Each of us his Lamb will bring,
Each his paire of silver doves,
Till burnt at last in fire of thy faire eyes,
Our selves become our owne best sacrifice.

Edited to add...

MasterM draws my attention to the fact that
somebody has donated a pair of Aviator glasses
to the second shepherd.
He doesn't think that it was one of his friends.
But it might have been.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Heaven.

Almost literally.

blackbird said...

Sheep herding can be tough on the eyes. At night.

I MUST take a photo of the nativity at the firehouse. The shepherd looks like Aunt Sylvia with a fur wrap.

Tracy said...

I think the glasses are a prfound extra touch...it gives a more welcome, relaxed feel to the solemnity of the occasion...LOL! Happy Day ((HUGS))

tess said...

it looks lovely, maybe the shepherd is shy?

Anonymous said...

It's all part of the modern H&S culture I'm afraid. Mind you I would expect the angel to be wearing the aviators

BreadBox said...

How lovely! I may be an heretic, a non-believer, but I have to admit to really enjoying this time of year: the ceremony, the celebration, the tradition, the whole, over-arching beauty of it all....

And I love the glasses!
N.

Tracey Petersen said...

I love to sing loudly in the company of other loud singers. That makes Christmas Carols a delight!

I have it on good advice that only the very coolest of people wear their sunglasses at night.