Saturday 22 September 2007

Possessions

I grew up in Cornwall which was then, and is now, a place of great artistic energy. My mother collected pottery - jugs, bowls, pots and mugs - made by the pupils of Bernard Leach. They were wonderful, strong, utilitarian objects in deep earthy colours and warm glazes.

Very few of them survived the rough and tumble of our family life because pottery is more vulnerable than china.


I do not have many pieces of pottery but I think it is fitting that this, my salt pot, is a link to that past. I have had it all my married life and every pot of potatoes, pasta or rice has been seasoned with salt from the little spoon.


I love the simple shape and shades of colour. It fits into the curve of my hand. The handle of the little spoon has the patina of use. It is too big for the pot and so the lid is permanently at an angle. It sits on a shelf in my kitchen, a constant companion to my cooking.

6 comments:

blackbird said...

It's lovely...

Anonymous said...

That is a very beautiful item you have in your kitchen--I love the simplicity of it. Thank so much for stopping by to see me...Happy weekend to you & yours ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I love objects like that that become something more because of their history. Great post!

Anonymous said...

You would be surprised how many have survived. I even used some at a dinner party last night!
We continue to collect nice pots and found a lovely pottery in Britany last time we went over.

dottycookie said...

What a beautiful salt pot, and a lovely story behind it too.

alice c said...

Thank you all for your appreciative comments. Sometimes I do a post just because it is fun to show a picture that was taken on the spur of the moment. This was one of those - I am so glad you enjoyed it.